Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Home EC (ICK?) in the Hizzy, minus the psych ward this time.

Note: I did not edit this, it was kind of hard to write and I wanted to be done with it. No looking back kind of thing ;)

We have been cooking up a storm! Really, it looks like a freakin tornado in my kitchen after dinnertime. I try and clean as I go, but those that know me, know that I am severely lacking in attention and memory skills. It's ok, I have accepted this and it makes me quirky cute. (Shut up.)

If you do not have The August/September issue of Clean Eating Magazine, you need to get it!! I used so many recipes from this issue that it was well worth the money. It even had a shopping list in it! My husband said, OUT LOUD, that he really didn't miss eating junk food! Get this month's issue, people!

My kids look forward to cooking with me everyday now and it really is a healing for me and ends a cycle for them. I come from a stereotypical looking Italian Family. Exhibit A. Aren't they cute????!!



Do you know how ashamed I felt having a full blooded Italian mother and not know how to cook??? Talk about letting people down! I would ask for Nana's recipes and my mother didn't know them. Nana is not a spring chicken like we want her to be. Where is the TRADITION??? Ugh did we not learn anything from Fiddler on the Roof?



I have literally started a small fire making Ramen Noodles. No Joke! I had a full blown temper tantrum as a newlywed preggo emotional basketcase because I realized I could not boil an egg to make freakin egg salad for my damn craving. It was intense, I assure you. I think Daniel was afraid for his life and his body went into survival mode for the coming famine.

I am making sure that as I learn to cook, my girls learn as well. Not only to cook, but to make healthy foods. Obesity runs in my family. Before you get all offended, I am also classified as obese, so chill. Obesity is defined as having an excessive amount of body fat. I don't want that cycle to continue either!  I really am learning that Homeschooling is so much more then the core subjects! I learned the core subjects and I made a mess out of my life for a long time. I was not independent at all, was on tons of meds and ended up going to a nice place called Abilene Psych. Oh then I made more of a mess with my life. Hooray..good times! Did I mention mental illness runs in my family as well? 


Enough is enough! My life is a mission now to give my girls the tools that they need to live, not just to get by. They may not grow up to be rocket scientists but I will give them skills they need to learn to avoid the mistakes that their family trees threw at them.  If they choose to still make them, so be it, but they don't have to. I love my family dearly, even the nuts. I have gotten past most of my issues growing up where I can sort out good times from the bad and navigate through it to make a path for myself and my kids. It was a hard journey but I am willing to bet I am not the only one who has family cycles that need to be broken. I hope you can take the first steps in doing that and learn that not only the body is self healing but quite possibly, the mind can be too. 

5 comments:

  1. You know I love you and this post makes me squeeeee in happiness. The mind CAN be healed when you are living a healthy lifestyle. Ive seen you at your worst and Im damn proud of you m'dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! thank you for sharing your heart...im so happy & excited for you and your family <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you! I feel the same way. I'm from a typical looking Mexican family (short, hairy, fat) and its so hard for me to get healthy even though I really really want to! 24 years of bad habits are heard to break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about homeschooling being about so much more than just the core subjects. I actually think that the core subjects are the least important when you compare them to things like character, faith, and life skills. So glad that you are learning about healthier eating and teaching your kids at the same time.

    Thanks so much for linking up with Truth Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite blog of yours! So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! I am with kids all day and it is nice to hear from others lol jk. Open to advice, guidance and encouragement. I comment back :)